top of page

About Roger Williams Lodge No. 32

RW Logo Color Small.png

Roger Williams Lodge No. 32 is a Regular and Recognized masonic lodge located in East Providence, Rhode Island.  It is recognized by the United Grand Lodge of England and a duly stated lodge of the Northern District under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of the Most Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Masons for the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.  Dispensation was granted January 22, 1876, it's charter granted on May 15, 1876 and Constituted on May 27, 1876.

The first meeting of which of which any record has been preserved, was held at the Union Free Library Room, in Centredale, Rhode Island, on September 15, 1875.  A large number of interested brethren were present.  Bro. James H. Angell of Temple Lodge, No. 18, was asked to preside.  He briefly stated the object of the meeting, and expressed favorable opinion to creating a new lodge to be based in Centredale.   Later that same evening, Bro. James C. Collins was chosen Chairman, and Bro. Frank C. An­gell, Secretary; both of these brethren were members of Temple Lodge, No. 18.  A committee was then appointed to gather information and determine if brethren living in the vicinity would seek to support the establishment of a new Masonic Lodge. 

At a meeting held on the evening of December 27, 1875, the subject of a name for the proposed new Lodge was discussed. Among other suggestions made, was the taking of the name of  "Roger Williams" as an appropriate and suitable designation. The question was argued whether or not it was proper to desig­nate the Lodge by the name of Roger Williams, since there was no positive proof that he was a Mason.  It was argued, however, that Roger Williams possessed the traits of character and views of human duty toward God and man, quite in accord with the general principles of Freemasonry.  It was then decided that the name of Roger Wil­liams should be adopted as the designation of the Lodge.  After several preliminary meetings were held, a petition signed by twenty-six Master Masons, was presented to Temple Lodge, No. 18, Greenville, asking that Lodge to recommend the peti­tion for a new Lodge to be called by the name of Roger Wil­liams, and located in the village of Centredale.  Temple Lodge acceded to the wishes of the petitioners, and on January 27, 1876, Most Worshipful Bro. Nicholas Van Slyck, Grand Master of Masons in Rhode Island, issued a Dispensation to the peti­tioners, and appointed Bro. Thomas Wilmarth the first Worshipful Master; Bro. Alexander W. Harrington, Senior Warden, and Bro. Charles P. Walker, Junior Warden.  By direction of the Grand Master, the newly authorized organization was placed under the charge of Bro. John P. Luther, as Special Deputy.

The first meeting of the Lodge under Dispensation, was held in the hall in Railroad Block, Centredale.  At this meeting James H. Angell was appointed Treasurer; Frank C. Angell, Secretary; Roger W. Harris, Senior Deacon; A. Jarvis Smith, Junior Deacon; George T. Angell, Senior Steward; William F. Allison, Junior Steward; George E. Olney, Chaplain; James V. Dawley, Marshal; George W. Capron, Musical Director, and Asael S. Angell, Tyler.  It was decided to hold the regular meetings of the Lodge on the first Saturday before each full moon.  A petition for a Charter for the new organization was presented to the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island, at its annual session, held May 15, 1876. After due examination and consideration, a Charter was issued to the following named brethren: Thomas Wilmarth, Alexander W. Harrington, Charles P. Walker, James H. An­gell, Frank C. Angell, James C. Collins, Daniel O. Angell, Rufus W. Harris, A. Jarvis Smith, Leroy G. Weston, William Andrews, Ansel S. Angell, Cornelius M. Capron, George F. Angell, John Reade, Almanzo S. Stone, James D. Dawley, Jr., John R. Cozzens, William F. Allison, George F. Stottard, George E. Olney, \\'illiam Rowley, Jr., Oliver P. Sherman, Jr., R. William Greatorex, Charles E. Nichols, George E. Eddy, Charles H. Cozzens, George W. Capron, Henry C. Arnold, George W. Stone, Henry R. Hill, George W. Dorrance, Lilley B. Mowry, and Mial S. Aldrich.

The Lodge was duly constituted under the Charter granted May 27, 1876, by Grand Master Nicholas Van Slyck, assisted by the Officers of Grand Lodge.  An address appropriate to the occasion was delivered by Right Worshipful Bro. George M. Carpenter. The District Deputy Grand Master, Bro. Henry A. Pierce, in­stalled the following brethren as Officers of the newly consti­tuted body, Roger Williams Lodge, No. 32: Thomas Wilmarth, Master; Alexander W. Harrington, Senior Warden; Charles P. Walker, Junior Warden; James H. Angell, Treasurer; Frank C. Angell, Secretary; Rufus W. Harris, Senior Deacon; A. Jarvis Smith, Junior Deacon; George F. Angell, Senior Steward; William F. Allison, Junior Steward; James V. Dawley, Jr., Marshal; George E. Olney, Chaplain; Daniel O. Angell, Sentinel; Asael S. Angell, Tyler, and George W. Capron, Musical Director.

Roger Williams Lodge took part in the parade at the laying of the cornerstone of the Masonic Temple, Providence, R.I. on June 7, 1874.  On June 13, 1884, the Lodge was presented by the residents of Centredale and the vicinity to a beautiful fine banner made of blue and white silk trimmed in gold, with lace and fringe, and embellished with appropriate Masonic designs.  The banner was the handiwork of F. C. Savory, of Boston, Mass. which was carried for the first time at the celebration of the One Hundredth Anni­versary of the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island, on June 24, 1891.

The Lodge continued to hold its meetings in the hall in Rail­road Block, until October, 1885, when a change was made, and the commodious and comfortable apartments in Angell Block, Centredale, were secured. These apartments are con­veniently arranged both for music and social purposes.

The pedestal on the Worshipful Master's station (which now sits in the Grand Lodge of Rhode Island) has an historic in­terest which entitles it to special mention, the die or shaft of the same being cut from the rock on which Roger Williams landed, when he came to Rhode Island, 1636. This die or shaft of the pedestal was obtained by the persevering efforts of one of the members, Bro. Frank C. Angell, who presented it to the Lodge.  The pedestal is artistically finished, with proper emblems and inscriptions.  The granite base and marble capi­tal were the gift of Bro. Rufus W. Harris and Bro. Thomas Wilmarth.

Roger Williams Lodge, at the time of the Centennial celebra­tion, June 24, 1891, had fifty-five members. The following named brethren. have served in the office of Worshipful Master: Thomas Wilmarth, 1876-77, and again in 1879; Alexander W. Harrington, from May, 1877, to May, 1878; Rufus W. Harris, from May, 1879, to May, 1880; William Andrews, from May, 1880, to May, 1881; James V. Dawley, from May, 1881, to May, 1883; Robert Henry Morton, from May, 1883, to May, 1884; Daniel 0. Angell, from May, 1884, to May, 1886; Wil­liam F. Allison, from May, 1886, to May, 1887; William H. McAbee, from May, 1887, to May, 1890; Charles F. Dawley, from May, 1890, to May, 1891, when he was again re-elected for the year ensuing.

In current time, Lodge meetings are held on the second Saturday of every month (except July and August) in Freemason's Hall at 222 Taunton Ave., East Providence, RI 02914.

Like all masonic lodges, Roger Williams No. 32 is a very active charitable organization that proudly supports the Special Olympics of Rhode Island, Boy Scouts, Grand Lodge Charities as well as many other outstanding charities across the State of Rhode Island.

"Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" - Bro. Samuel L. Clemens, AKA Mark Twain

Our Mission

Truth, honesty and fair dealing are the cornerstones of respect and dignity in our relationships with others.  Charity in thought, word and action makes a positive difference in the lives of others and ourselves.  Commitment to our families and friends, courtesy to our neighbors and service to our communities and country are the foundations for a well-lived life.  The opportunities for camaraderie, fellowship and service offered by Freemasonry nurture personal growth, making us better men.

GM Clinton Jones - WM John Snowman - GM
Our Mission

The greatest crime is not developing your potential.  When you do what you do best, you are helping not only yourself, but the world

Roger Williams

bottom of page